Shapewear is a game-changer in the world of fashion, offering a smoother silhouette and boosting confidence. However, like all garments, shapewear can sometimes present challenges. Whether it’s a minor tear, an uncomfortable fit, or maintenance issues, we’ve got you covered with these DIY hacks.
Quick Fixes for Minor Tears or Snags
- Nail Polish Hack: A small run or snag can be halted using clear nail polish. Gently apply a thin layer over the affected area, allowing it to dry completely. This creates a seal, preventing the snag from worsening.
- Fabric Glue: For minor tears, especially along seams, fabric glue can be a quick fix. Clean the area, apply the glue, and press the fabric together. Allow it to dry for several hours, ensuring the bond is secure.
Adjusting Shapewear Straps for a Better Fit
- Safety Pins: If straps are persistently slipping, a safety pin can offer a temporary solution. Pin from the inside to hide the pin, adjusting the length as needed.
- Bra Strap Clips: These are not just for bras! Use them on shapewear to convert regular straps into racerback style, ensuring they stay put.
Solutions for Shapewear That’s Too Tight or Too Loose
- Stretching: If your shapewear feels a bit snug, you can gently stretch it. Dampen the garment with a mix of lukewarm water and fabric softener. Lay it flat and gently stretch the areas that feel tight. Allow it to air dry.
- Taking In: Loose shapewear can be adjusted by sewing. Turn the garment inside out and sew along the seams to take it in. Use a zig-zag stitch to maintain the fabric’s stretchiness.
Washing and Maintaining Elasticity
- Hand Wash: To preserve the fabric’s integrity, always hand wash shapewear. Use cold water and a gentle detergent, swishing the garment around before rinsing thoroughly.
- Avoid the Dryer: The heat from dryers can degrade the elastic fibers. Instead, gently squeeze out excess water (don’t wring) and lay the shapewear flat on a towel to air dry.
Storing Shapewear for Longevity
- Roll, Don’t Fold: Rolling shapewear can prevent creases and maintain its shape. Start from the bottom and roll upwards, ensuring a smooth finish.
- Separate Storage: Use mesh bags or dedicated drawers to store shapewear. This prevents them from getting entangled with other garments, reducing the risk of snags.
Preventing Shapewear from Rolling Down
- Double-sided Fashion Tape: A quick solution to prevent shapewear from rolling down is to use double-sided fashion tape. Stick one side to the edge of your shapewear and the other side to your skin. This will help keep it in place throughout the day.
Refreshing Stretched Out Shapewear
- Cold Water Soak: If your shapewear has lost some of its elasticity, give it a cold water soak. Fill a basin with cold water and a cup of baby shampoo. Let the shapewear soak for 30 minutes, then rinse and air dry. The gentle formula can help fibers regain their shape.
Reducing Static Cling
- Anti-static Spray: Sometimes, shapewear can cling to your clothes due to static. An anti-static spray can be a quick fix. If you don’t have one on hand, a light mist of water or rubbing a dryer sheet over the shapewear can also help reduce static.
- Moisture-wicking Spray: For those who find shapewear a bit warm or uncomfortable during extended wear, a moisture-wicking spray can help. Spraying the inside of your shapewear can help absorb sweat and keep you feeling fresh.
Extending the Lifespan of Delicate Shapewear
- Mesh Laundry Bags: When washing delicate shapewear pieces, place them inside mesh laundry bags. This protects them from getting tangled or stretched out in the wash. Always opt for a gentle cycle and use a mild detergent.
Shapewear is an investment in your wardrobe and confidence. With these DIY hacks, you can ensure your shapewear lasts longer and continues to make you feel fabulous. Remember, while these hacks are helpful, always consider the manufacturer’s care instructions to keep your shapewear in the best condition.
Were Sorry This Was Not Helpful!
Let Us Improve This Article!
Please Tell Us How We Can Improve This Article.